Monday, October 17, 2011

Full Hands

So, I took all three kids to the post office by myself today. Now, I know that people everywhere take lots of kids with them to various locations, and please don't for one moment think that I don't take my kids with me when I go somewhere, or that I think three is some rediculously large number. Of course not. Only know that my kids are EXCEPTIONALLY energetic and playful. :) They are NEVER the kids sitting quietly in the stroller or happily holding mommy's hand as we stroll through a store. Nope. I have the ones who giggle, then break into screaming laughter. The ones who pull things down off all the shelves...or try to. The ones who are EVER loud and rambunctious. Bad? No. Misbehaving? Not usually. Rowdy? Often. :) And they, of course, just feed off the other's excitement when they're together. So, all that to say that we were loud and noticeable (albeit well-behaved) today when we walked up to the counter to mail my packages.

I should also point out that my boys are twins...and toddlers. And identical. So, EVERYONE notices them. I have long noticed that twins have this way of drawing attention everywhere you go, so that perfect strangers think they should just come right up to you and divulge their life story if they, themselves are twins, have twins, are related to twins, know twins, or have ever even met a twin. It's like the "twin club" you automatically get put into whether you intend it or no. And while most of the time, people are nice as pie, and I have never minded the attention, sometimes you can get quite the insulting confrontations. Really? Someone wants to argue with me, their MOTHER, that they're not identical because one of the boys' hair looked darker? (He was sitting in the shade...). Really? If you have nothing better to contribute to the coversation, just smile at the cute twins and keep walking. Though I am always polite and just try to ignore them. Not worth the arguement.

But anyway, post office...

So, we went in, and, of course, all three kids want to be held up to see, so while I'm telling the man (who also is a twin and has a set of twin sisters...see, told you. Twin club.), I have to take turns holding them up to see over the counter. So, then the lady behind me, comments. "Are those twins?"

I smile and say yes.

Then I get the inevitable comment. "Bless you're heart!" Apparently, I am in need of much blessing, as I hear that a LOT. Of course, I'll take all the blessings the Good Lord wants to bestow. :)

I again, just smile. What do you say?

Then the kids are done standing at my side (can't hold their hands while I'm paying), so they are chasing sister over to the side to investigate the door and other things post office-y. And they all seem amazed that I dared bring them all. (Though not offended, at least. I cannot stand to be near people who do not like children. Do they forget they, themselves, were once one as well???)

And then comes the other inevitable comment. The one I hear the most often.
"Boy, you've got your hands full!" I've heard that one so many times, I should really just wear it on a t-shirt and save people the trouble. LOL (Though I am curious to know how people must react to a family of five or six??? I only have three, after all, twins or not.)

So, I just smile and mention it's naptime. Because, it is, and we all had a late night the day before, and my kids get more excited the more tired they are. Odd how kids do that.

They laugh and say "Yours, right?" Meaning my naptime. Again, I laugh and smile, because quite frankly, I could use one, even if it had nothing to do with the kids today.

Seriously, though, the trip was basically uneventful and calm, a quick trip to do an errand. And yet, people, friendly though they may be, act as though I should get an award for daring to bring all three with me alone.

And it brought to mind a Bible passage...

Psalm 127: 4-5
As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them...

And it's so true. Children are gifts straight from God. Not accidents or mistakes, nevermind how they got here. And while most people do show their like for children, I am constantly amazed at how many people think three a lot.

Sure, kids are a lot of work, a lot of trouble, take a lot of energy, a lot of money, change your life totally and completely, turn your schedule upside down and rearrange a lot if not all of your plans on many occasions, and yeah, twins are more work than having a singleton. Duh. You just had TWO kids, not one. Obviously, there will be more work included, and esp. if you have another kid already. But kids are also the most fun you will ever have, the most rewarding experience you will ever have, and the most love and enjoyment you will find on this earth. And each new child is more hugs, more kisses, more fun, more joy, more love! (and, yes, more noise. LOL But happy noise is good noise.)

And so yes, my hands are very full. And happy is the woman whose hands are full. :)

No comments: